I have been using LMS 7.8 for a long time now, but recently updated to
LMS 7.9. One of the 7.9 features I was really excited about is the
possibility of Virtual Libraries. However, beyond the Demo plugin, which
is not very useful, I cant figure out how to use this functionality. Is
there some other plugin or method to define virtual libraries that I can
use? I couldn't find any guides on this on the forum.

Unfortunately no, the 3rd party who asked me to implement the back-end for virtual libraries never got to implement the front-end...

The best you have is the Advanced Search: create a search which would only return the stuff you want. Then save it as a library.

out how to do that. In my directory structure on the server I have
regular music tracks sorted in a separate directory from the special
tracks. I am thinking this structure may help me define the virtual
libraries, but still I cant figure it out.

How would you usually access the "special tracks"? If by browsing folders only, you could use the "normal tracks" folder as the music folder only, configure LMS to _not_ scan the special tracks (remove the Music checkbox in the path settings), then access it from the Browse File System menu.

--

Michael