GRC wrote:
> As I asked in my OP:-
>
> "Anyone experienced similar problems . . . "
>
> My (limited) understanding of LMS is that it only reads the actual music
> files (well their attributes / properties presumably) - never writes to
> / updates them.  All writing is to the LMS library as such.  Is that
> correct?   If so, then LMS is not the culprit.  So what is?
>
> I also believe many users on this august forum are seasoned Windows
> veterans of far great knowledge than I so may have some ideas.  Hence
> posting here before hitting Windows forums.
>
> Hope this makes sense.

It's not LMS. The designers of LMS always held to the philosophy that it
would never modify audio files in the music library. I suppose it might
be possible for a plugin to LMS to do this, but couldn't say if any of
them do.

The obvious first place to look is MediaMonkey, since that's its
function. Does it run at all in the background, perhaps as a Windows
service? One thing you might want to look at is whether or not it has an
option to not update the date modified of any files it modifies. I make
sure I use such an option in my tag editor - Mp3tag - when making any
tagging changes to older files, just to keep them from bubbling to the
top in New Music.