saxon wrote:
> OK I run a number of Squeezebox devices in my home and currently have an
> original Netgear Readynas which has been superb - unbelievably stable
> and reliable and currently runs 2x 2tb drives in it.

I recently moved from Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 2 to a Synology DS716+II. I
was very happy with my ReadyNAS Ultra. Logitech makes official nightly
builds for it. Also the Intel processor gave full support for pretty
much any plugins and add-ons, especially after I found out how to
install IO::Socket::SSL on it.

But in the end I decided to make a switch for security reasons, because
there's no SMBv2+ support on it (I have now disabled SMBv1 on my devices
for security reasons) and the ReadyNAS doesn't receive security patches
anymore. My choice was DS716+II because -I have the impression- Synology
has a good reputation and keeps their devices updated for a long time.
Again Intel processor for best possible support, and even though there
are no official nightly builds for it, pinkdot has his LmsUpdate and
LmsRepack projects for regularly updated nightlies. Also the of size of
the NAS is perfect to fit in my CD-rack (like the readyNAS also was) ;-)

Unfortunately pinkdot ain't making new LmsUpdate/LmsRepack builds
anymore, but I think there's a very good change somebody will take over
this (If I get too desperate I might even try myself, it sounds like it
shouldn't be too complicated).

Well, just my reasoning for choosing the DS716+II. There's probably also
good reasons to make other choices :-)

*/Stig*
'www.*rockland*.dk' (http://www.rockland.dk) -
'www.*last.fm*/user/rockland' (https://last.fm/user/rockland) -
'www.*discogs*.com/user/StigNygaard'
(https://discogs.com/user/StigNygaard) -
'*plus.google*.com/+StigNygaard' (https://google.me/+StigNygaard)
*Server:* LMS 7.9.1 ('LmsRepack'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?107180)) - 1503129892 @
Sat Aug 19 on Synology DS716+II.  *Clients:* 'RPi3 (Max2Play, 7\" touch,
HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro)'
(https://shop.max2play.com/en/raspberry-pi-2-bundle-7-display.html), SB
Touch, OrangeSqueeze/SqueezePlayer. *Livingroom HiFi:* Marantz PM6005
and F3/Lyd Audiovector 2.
Try my *'Art Grabr' (https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/20771)*
for fetching big *cover-art* from various sites - And *'Album Linkr'
(https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/21153)* for a better *last.fm*
desktop browser experience...