Many thanks, both - and sorry to be so slow getting back.. Thought  I
had an email alert set up for replies, turns out I didn't...

I've seen these options and the rescan only new files option works.

But when I do it it still spends a some time 'discovering' files and
folders that are already in the library ( 18 mins for 42,000 files last
scan) rather than going straight to the new increment of files that I
have just added. Since I know there is nothing new in the old batch, is
there any way of telling it only to add the new files while at the same
time keeping what it as already imported? If that makes any sense....