I'm having the same issue trying to connect to the settings page.  I
have the simplest set up I could imagine: a Raspberry Pi connected
directly to my Mac by an ethernet cable.  The Mac's IP address is
192.168.10.1, and it's given the Pi an IP address of 192.168.10.2
Trying to connect using a browser on the Mac I get:
403 Forbidden: settings/server/wizard.html
The logs show:
Access to settings pages is restricted to the local network or
localhost: 192.168.10.1 -> 192.168.10.2 (settings/server/wizard.html)
I can successfully connect to the server log page at
http://192.168.10.2:9000/server.log

I've tried various values of allowedHosts and httpaddr in the
server.prefs file, and both version 7.9.1 and the nightly build of
7.9.2, all to no avail.  Any help greatly appreciated!