That made me wonder about setting up a streaming server on AWS to stream
to the Transporter. This means I wouldn't need the Pi based server or
the external USB drive. AWS has media streaming built in, but I'm fuzzy
on how to set it up so the Transporter can access it.

You certainly could set up LMS in AWS. But S3 wouldn't be the best choice, as it's block storage, and isn't mounted like a "normal" drive. It might be possible somehow, but I'm not aware of a simple solution.

And then you'll have to pay for the bandwidth. Uploading to S3 is cheap - downloading not that much.

And you'll have to come up with some VPN connection or similar to protect your LMS.

Overall I guess it's more work and complexity than you want to take on for LMS only.

--

Michael