hi cfuttrup,

My advise is not the think about volume control to much... it hurts. :D

cfuttrup wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I've purchased a RaspberryPi with the 7 inch Touch Display and am
> planning to install a DAC board, etc. to end up with a Squeezebox Touch
> replacement.

Welcome to the club.

> When I installed piCorePlayer on the RPi I was asked about output and I
> could see that ALSA defaults to + 3-4 dB (or something like that) and
> that I'd have to choose 96% to get 0 dB out, which I did.

This is only concerning the built-in audio. The RPi built-in audio card
is called "ALSA". I think they did this to confuse people. By default
there is a 4dB gain. We have been recently playing with the "card
controls" to allow this to be set to exactly 0dB rather than 96% which I
think is 0.25dB.

> Suddenly I realize there's at least 4 different ways to control the
> volume, and I'm wondering - in which way does the LMS control it? Is it
> a "bit-perfect" reduction, or is it scaling in percent (not
> digital-friendly) ... and is dithering used, or not? Does LMS also
> "boost" output 3-4 dB at 100% ??

Scary when you start thinking about this! You can set LMS to output 100%
and use your analogue volume control, this is what I used to do. In the
end I found, convenience won out and I use LMS volume control even
though it is probably not bit perfect. I don't think LMS boosts output.

> P.S. I purchased the ApplePi DAC + Volume-Clocker, and the volume part
> controls the volume in a "bit-perfect" way, which presumably means it of
> course reduces output bits when you turn down the volume, but there's no
> quantization noise, etc. I find that I can control volume in LMS, as
> well as in piCorePlayer with the ALSA mixer, and now with the digital
> Volume-Clocker + finally I can also use the (analog) volume control on
> my integrated amplifier.

Have you got your ApplePi DAC working? AFAIK we haven't got ApplePi DAC
on the drop-down yet.

regards
Greg