Hi DJanGo,

Thanks for your suggestion!

I was aware of that part of the wiki.  That is where I found that user
"squeezeboxserver" needs to have read access to the music files.  That
can be done indirectly as member of a group (as in the wiki with the LMS
group).  The new setup with ACL on my data drive allows me to give read
permissions to more than one individual user, so I gave user
"squeezeboxserver" read rights.  That was sufficient for my music to be
played on my different players.

The problem seems to be that scanning is not done as user
"squeezeboxserver" but as a different user.  That is probably why the
wiki recommends "sudo chmod -R 774 /media/music/\[playlist\]/"  where
the 774 is giving read rights to "other" (everyone).  If I give
read-rights to "other", it works as well for me, but that is what I
wanted to avoid...