I think the solution depends on what you plan to be listening to. If you
plan to listen to Spotty, local music files and internet radio, the
simplest way to go would be the one you've already identified - a
Raspberry Pi running LMS connected to a USB drive with a copy of your
music collection.

On the other hand there are other possibilities such as installing LMS
on an appropriate hard drive. I followed instructions from 'here'
(https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?105512-Portable-squeezebox-with-a-Western-Digital-quot-Passport-Wireless-quot),
though I've not been able to install Spotty on that LMS.

Robert

*Home: *Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS7.9.2  with files on QNAP
TS-251A
Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega
Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
PiCorePlayer(Pi2) with IQAudIO DAC+>Sennheisers
2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), spare
Pi2/piCorePlayer
*Office:* LMS7.9.2 running on WiFi MyPassport drive >
piCorePlayer(PiB)/HiFiBerryDAC > Amptastic Amplifier
SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob