First there is no hard defined international (e.g. ISO, IEEE, IETF)
standard for management of podcasts.  A lot of what is used is de-facto
and has evolved as "normal" or "usual". So many of the norms were
initially defined & used by Apple & iTunes but "extended" by others to
accommodate non Apple things. RSS is sort of standard (a sort of dialect
of XML) but it was originally used for News feeds but has been "adopted"
for podcasts. The original Apple podcast-1.0.dtd XML definition document
which defines how Apple uses tags for podcast is seemingly not longer
accessible !

dolodobendan wrote:

>  There's always a xml / audio file combination
Only if you are using a podcast feed but the feed can be of various
standards such as RSS, Apple's version of RSS or others. Most use a
version of XML to format the feed -  XML is just data tagging - it is a
generic formatting standard - not a communications protocol  -- it does
not dictate what needs to be present nor what tags & attributes "means".

>  The xml file has to contain information about the audio file's length
Often (but not always) depending on the type of feed and the source of
the feed.  So podcast management has to sometime "guess" what is
intended.
>  If the audio file is updated, length information in audio file and
> xml file differ and that leads to the problem
Don't know.  It is one possible explanation.

> Does the problem only occur if the audio file is updated while it is
> being streamed?
No.
> Or does this also occur because the xml file was never updated for the
> new lengths, i.e. every previously updated stream has the problem?
Don't know but possibly also conceivably other reasons.

I'll have a look at the specific examples you have given before and the
associated LMS code used to decode the feed and then I might be able to
give a more definitive answer for the feed with which you have a
problem.