I am deciding to switch to the LMS that comes with the picoreplayer and
rpi. I am currently using the readynas. The version with readynas does
not display unicode chars like Chinese.

I think you're specifically talking about Unicode display on the Classic/Transporter/Boom? Unfortunately no recent Perl version I'm aware of has support for this. I believe at some point it became too painful to compile that module (Font::FreeType). The last Perl version I see we have it for is Perl 5.16 - which is pretty old.

That said I see that the version we used to use is from 2004 - but there are more recent versions from 2018. Maybe it would be possible to compile the latest for recent Perl versions...

--

Michael