I used to have 3-4 squeezeboxes in various rooms, but slowly began
downsizing as I changed out other audio components.  I'm now down to one
Touch, which is still working fine, and which I still use when I want to
play local files.  Simply said, there is no software that does a better
job of providing customized dynamic playlists based on my parameters
than LMS + Erland's suite of plug-ins.

I've gone to almost exclusively Denon/Marantz equipment, and distribute
music throughout the house through HEOS.  It works well with my Touch,
which has always been used solely to play music from my personal digital
collection (I stream SiriusXM and Amazon UltraHD, but I use HEOS for
that, not LMS).

One of my recent upgrades has been an addition of a listening room in my
house, where I've bought a Marantz ND8006 CD player and network
streamer.  The ND8006 has a USB-B input meant for a direct connection to
a computer.  I run LMS on a 2012 Mac Mini running on Mac OSX Yosemite.
For several years I've not seen a need to upgrade from LMS version
7.9.0.  It works great, so I've not wanted to fool with it.

I'd like to mothball the Touch before it eventually dies.  I installed
SqueezePlay on my Mac years ago, but it was a beta back then (may still
be) and I suspect there are better plug-ins available.  It would be nice
to have something that could handle hi-res files, since the Marantz DAC
and the other Denon/Marantz elements of my multi-room system can handle
it, but that's a nice-to-have vs. a have-to-have.  The one thing that
cannot change is my ability to use "Erland's Essentials": TrackStat,
CustomScan, CustomSkip, etc., so if I need to update to later, equally
stable version of LMS, so be it.

Anyone have any thoughts on best way to proceed?

I’m down to one SB Touch. Mac Mini as a server (OS X Yosemite).  iPeng
is my controller of choice.  LMS 7.9.0. Erland’s plug ins are what keep
me in the ecosystem.