Ok, I've run the file through ffmpeg (a newer version on my Windows
machine) with the stream copy options as you suggested, and sure enough
that file plays fine. However, I'm confused as to why what is
essentially just the embedded cover art is causing the problem. Lots of
the other m4a files I have include embedded cover art and they still
play fine.

What I then tried is extracting the cover art from the original "bad"
file (I use Mp3tag) as a jpeg, then adding it back to the new "good"
file as the front cover image again with Mp3tag. Looking at that file
then with ffmpeg I can see that once again I have the second stream
(#0:1) as an mjpeg, but now, the file plays fine too! The filesize is
ever so slightly smaller than the original now: 1,990,794 bytes vs
1,991,289 bytes (so just 505 bytes smaller).

I'm now going to try to use ffmpeg again to copy BOTH streams (if I can
work out the command syntax) to see if that will strip out whatever
those mystery 505 bytes are that is causing the tracks not to play nice
with faad.