Here is how I do something similar ...
I have only one DHCP server inside the regular home LAN - in your case
that could be the cable modem/router box.

Other access points are put into bridge mode and get their own IP
address via DHCP (although you could make them static in a range outside
that being used by the cable modem but in the same subnet).
Then when a device connects to the second access point (wired or
wireless) they get their IP address via DHCP from the cable modem.
Then everything is on the same 10.x.y.z subnet and, hopefully, your
problem would disappear.

In reality I have another router (X) between the LAN and the ISP router
and have nothing plugged/wifi into the ISP router apart from router X or
sometimes a house guest.
That way I can change ISP without relying on features that might not be
in the ISP router.

Paul Webster
http://dabdig.blogspot.com
author of \"now playing\" plugins covering radio france (fip etc), kcrw,
supla finland, abc australia, cbc/radio-canada and rte ireland