Simonef wrote:
> the problem is the "-f" which i guess is related to "hi precision
> clock", this option is not documented on sox documentation

Not a direct response to your main question, but FYI, the "-f" option
sets rolloff to "allow none" (as opposed to "allow small").  The "use
high-precision clock" option is "-t".

SoX's documentation lags far behind current development.  I haven't been
able to find the latest syntax for "rate" anywhere else on the web, so
here it is (as I understand it from examining the code):

rate [<quality-level>] [<override-options>] <rate>

The quality-level options are as follows:

-q = quick
-l = low
-m = medium
-g = medium-high
-h = high
-e = extra-high
-v = very high
-u = ultra

These quality levels set the resampler parameters to:

filter phase = linear (50%)
anti-aliasing bandwidth percentage = 100 (no aliasing above the audio
passband)

        quality
level
        0dbB
bandwidth
        -3dB
bandwidth
        noise
rejection
        bit
depth
        rolloff
allowed

        n/a
        n/a
        ~30 dB
        16
        0.35dB

        68%
        80%
        96 dB
        16
        0.35dB

        91%
        95%
        96 dB
        16
        0.35dB

        91%
        95%
        96 dB
        16
        0.01dB

        91%
        95%
        20
        120
        0.01dB

        91%
        95%
        24
        144
        0.01dB

        91%
        95%
        28
        168
        0.01dB

        91%
        95%
        32
        192
        0.01dB

The override-options parameters, if provided, will override the values
in the above table.  In the list below, options on the same line are
mutually exclusive.  For example, you can use -s, or -b <n>, or -B <n>,
or none of those three, but you cannot use any combination of -s, -b,
and -B.  Also, some options limit others.  For example, bit depth and
noise rejection are related: You cannot specify a low bit depth with
high noise rejection.

-Q <0 .. 7> = numeric quality levels that correspond to
q|l|m|g|h|e|v|u
-M, -I, -L, -p <0 .. 100> = filter phase: Minimum (0%), Intermediate
(25%), Linear (50%), specified
-a, A <85 .. 100> = allow aliasing above the 3dB audio passband, above a
specified bandwidth percentage
-s, -b <74 .. 99.7>, -B <53 .. 99.5> = audio passband percentage: -3dB
99% (steep filter), -3dB specified, 0dB specified
-R <90 .. 200> = noise rejection dB
-d <15 .. 33> = bit depth
-f = no passband rolloff allowed

The following override-options parameters are also supported, but they
merely change the internal implementation of certain aspects of the
resampler.  They are for software testing and development and are not
intended to have any effect on the sound:

-t = use high-precision clock (i.e., increase irrational ratio
accuracy)
-i <-1 .. 2> = force a particular coefficient interpolator
-c <100 .. INT_MAX> = maximum number of bytes used for coefficients
-n: no small integer optimization

Touch --> Benchmark DAC3 HGC --> Counterpoint NPS200 MkII + NPS400 -->
Meadowlark Heron
Touch --> Schiit Bifrost 2 --> Eddie Current Aficionado --> HD800 SDR,
ZMF Verite Ziricote
and a third Touch for remote control, and a Radio, and a couple SB3s and
a Transporter somewhere