Now everything works again. I tend to think that most probably the cure
was a complete reset of the ADSL router, although I did also disable all
LMS plugins I’m not using, set the network radio station buffer and
timeout values to maximum( 30s), disable AAC format, and set Squeezeplay
to proxied streaming. Each step seemed to make the Tidal stream better,
but it was only after the router reset that it started to work without
skipping tracks.

I still get the occasional buffering and timeout, but on the whole it’s
liveable.

Thanks to all of you who gave this problem some thought.

Hopefully this will help someone out in the future.