I just had a very odd thing happen... I'm running LMS 8 on macOS
10.15.7. Every few days I open the LMS system preference, get prompted
to update, click a bunch of things to update, and everything is fine.

Today, the installer gave me the error "The Installer encountered an
error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software
manufacturer for assistance."

I just assumed that I'd relaunch LMS and be re-prompted to try the
update again, except there was no 'Squeezebox.prefPane' in
/Library/PreferencePanes. It was gone, so I restored it from my Time
Machine backups, and now it will be busy for the next several hours
rescanning everything from scratch.

There's nothing in the server.log file, but there's bunch of stuff in
/private/var/log/install.log

Is there any point posting the log file here?