Coconut wrote:
> Well, it was the result of trial and error to make the streams work.
>
> When ALAC was streamed as native - I had some streams stop in the middle
> of nowhere.
> Then I tried FLAC and PCM transcoding
> Both of them worked perfectly
> I had no particular reason to settle for the PCM transcoding except that
> it worked beautifully well.
>
> A lack of knowledge could be another good reason for my questionable
> choice.
> Is there a reason to choose FLAC rather than PCM ?
> I don't know what other issues could interfere since everything was
> working fine before upgrading to LMS 8.01 ?
>
> Maybe I don't understand the question ?

The question was why was Flac not used. If the option was not available
- then it implied a bigger problem in the installation.
Since Flac was available , it simplifies your problem.  Also you now
explained that ALAC did in fact play but played badly whereas originally
I thought it meant ALAC did not play at all.

Flac is "better" than PCM as it is compressed so more audio can fit in
player buffer and so less load on network & less load on Touch processor
so less chance of stuttering/buffering as more audio time in buffer and
less work for Touch CPU.

IIRC Native ALAC of Touch was never wholly reliable and "old" advice was
better to disable native ALAC for Touch/radio - not sure why it suddenly
broke. I still suspect something else was fixed.