Ok, the real scenario is this:
- A shop with multiple players and multiple shop assistants
- Big library and Pi3 server, USB drive, HFS+ filesystem (don’t
ask) in the office. Scans and searches take a while.
- The big library has 3 top folders, 2 virtual libs are created off 2
of these.
- Morning at 7AM employees start coming in. A script fires. It finds
available players, creates a sync group, sets the group leader to
virtual lib 1, make it play random songs
- Morning at 10AM customers start coming in. A script fires, puts
players to sleep, re-does same as above but over a much safer library 2.
- Evening 8PM the shop closes down. A script fires to put players to
sleep.
- Next morning 5AM, run a routine DB scan to get ready for the next
day.
- During the day a shop assistant may use the web interface and make
manual selections. My automaton derails if Random mix was set to use a
virtual lib in particular.

Back to your suggestion, I could perhaps at night after the rescan
create 2 huge playlists. IÂ’m not sure how IÂ’d do that
programmatically.
But during the day people may want to use the web interface (actually
they do, thatÂ’s why the problem has emerged).
A library view is much superior to a playlist for my scenario, in that
you can interact with whatÂ’s playing the way you want via the web
interface, only youÂ’re in a sandbox. Playlists are much more
static.

2 SB 3 • 1 PCP 6 • Libratone Loop, Zipp, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone +
iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC
iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Smart Mix, Music Walk
With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason
Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge
by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display,
SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.