If you have an arm5 processor in your Synology DiskStation, as my DS213
does, you may need to download LMS 7.7.6 at the Synology.com
download-package-SqueezeCenter page. (I have not found a more recent
version that will run with this processor, but would welcome correction,
as 7.7.6 is inferior to 7.9.2, which I had to delete before installing
PERL 5.24.)

LMS 7.7.6 does not read the Album Artist tag on files and then offer it
as an option on the SBT Album Sort Method page. To find my artists and
their albums (that's how my files are arranged), I had to go to My Music
and select Music Folder. They appeared as expected.

Hoping to keep LMS running until the SBTs die...