I've done a bit more digging, and on the face of it this does seem
related to the random-play options of 8.2.

I have library views globally set to All Library (default), and Random
Mix/Use Library View set to my custom "SpotifyRandom" saved search.

Here's some examples:

If I want to play one of my Favorites, say the Jazz 24 radio stream, it
takes two hits of the remote's Play button. Same with Radio Paradise via
the plugin.

If I want to play Random Mix/Song Mix, it's one hit. Same with something
from my own server library via Music Folder, and a Spotty playlist.

Still baffled.

Anyone have a clue?