First thing, a piCorePlayer/rPi restart "fixed" this problem.

I'm curious if the more knowledgeable on this forum have an explanation
for why a system restart fixed the problem (as aggravating as that is).
I'm a 30-year IT guy (though not in advanced networks) and I'm baffled.

Scenario - SOME network streams stop working. Logging shows an error
like:

"Error: Can't connect to remote server to retrieve playlist for, [URL]:
Connect timed out: Bad file descriptor."

I could copy that URL and from the log file and successfully connect to
the URL using wget from an SSH prompt at the same time that LMS was
saying it could not connect. Logically, networking on the LMS rPi system
MUST BE working (or, well, wget would fail) and the remote HOST but also
be working (or, again, wget would fail). So whatever is awry, it's not
the remote host (or wget would fail to connect and retrieve anything) or
the rPi network connection (or wget could not connect at all).

Also, some network streams from within LMS still worked when others
failed, so, logically, LMS itself MUST BE capable of streaming (or those
streams that worked could not have worked).

A restarted of the rPi fixed this issue. ALL streams now work.

But why? How can only SOME streams be affected from within LMS while the
URLs for those streams that failed in LMS WORK from an SSH prompt on the
same LMS host? I suspect (!) it's something to do with how Perl handles
network streams (since that's what LMS is written in, and though I know
a little bit of Perl, I'm no Michael Herger with his knowledge of how
Perl works).

If we know why this occurs, we can determine whether it can be avoided
(or whether it's simply too much work to avoid and a restart should
actually be the preferred "solution").