I have been using the podcast capability of LMS allot more recently.
Once you are up and running, I recommend two things that may improve
your experience:

1) Install Philippe's "reliable" plugin. It completely solved my problem
where podcasts would drop in the middle, and I would have to restart and
ffwd to where it dropped. In fact, I think if I paused one for a while,
it also would not resume, and I'd have to restart.
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?112931-ANNOUNCE-Reliable-plugin-for-resilient-HTTP-connections&highlight=announce+reliable

2) Using the material skin, there is a podcast text search and save of
both itunes and gpodder. Just search the name of the pc, find it and
subscribe. No more URL cut and paste.

One other thing is to remember at the bottom of the podcast list is a
"recently played". So, if you were on episode 20, and came back days,
weeks later, you can go to this to remind you "where you were"

Jim

PS - thanks for the dual endorsement of "you must remember this" I'll
check it out!