mavit wrote:
> Another example is installing plugins.  If you can install plugins, you
> can run arbitrary code as the user that LMS runs as.

Wouldn't installing malicious plugins involve either putting malicious
code into a repository (which seems like a good way to get caught though
not a certainty) or having write access to the appropriate directories
on the target computer? And if someone with bad intentions has write
access to the directories, wouldn't involving HTTP be extra work for no
extra reward?

I'm curious how many malware authors are targeting HTTP on internal home
networks. Is it safe to say that relatively few people are running any
kind of server at all on their home networks? And, if the numbers are
indeed low, why would HTTP be a tempting target compared to something
using a more direct approach?

I can't decide if this is a near-complete non-issue or if I'm somehow
missing something painfully obvious that I'll eventually regret. Are
there currently Bad Things out there in the wild that are taking
advantage of insecure home HTTP? I realize that just because there may
not be now doesn't mean there never will be, I'm just trying to
understand what the current real world risk is. The claim that
interfacing with LMS via HTTP may be a serious enough security risk to
require mitigation caught me completely by surprise.

I'm probably an outlier in that I have several things running internally
using HTTP. It's interesting to me that NONE of them, including some
pretty hefty stuff like TrueNAS, are using HTTPS for their interfaces.
Are the people behind TrueNAS, piHole, LMS and whatever else I can't
remember at the moment simply *lazy* or are they reasonably certain that
they aren't creating a security risk?

I assume there's browser-accessed software out there that uses HTTPS
over the home network because someone thought it was worth it, but I
have yet to see *any*. (Again, I'm not claiming that's a scientific
survey, I just find it interesting.)