After the scanning was finished, I restarted LMS and looked into
server.log: No more "Query returned more than one row". Okay! However, I
do not understand what the message "Query returned more than one row"
means in this context.

It's an artifact of the method used to look up the VA object in the database. The "update_or_create()" method expects the key given to be unique, because otherwise it wouldn't know which item to update (if found). In your case that wasn't the case. It's something I wanted to look into for a long time, as it's confusing people. There's even this comment from Andy before that call:

# XXX - exception should go here. Coming soon.

Dated August 2009...