garym wrote:
> yep, now the hard part, because problem is intermittent, and there are
> lots of parts/cables from the wall to the modem to the LMS server to the
> player.  Any of which could have a fault generating an intermittent
> issue.   At least now the intermittent nature is once or twice a day,
> versus every 10 minutes.
The problem may not be within your network but still worth looking. I
had a network fault once and it was one of the four springy pins in the
ethernet socket was not straight but angled sideways.

>  (Not sure, but I recall someone telling me that the local traffic
> doesn't go back to the router.....*that is, if my LMS is connected to a
> switch and my player is connected to the same switch, then the
> connection from the switch back to the router is not used in the data
> transmission of my local music files that are connected via USB directly
> to my LMS server.  *
>
> Is this latter point correct....i'm out of my depth when it comes to
> network data traffic.

I think so - memory & detail is not great. IIRC Ethernet switches
operate at MAC address and not IP address.  On original twisted pair
hubs,  every cable saw what was transmitted on all other cables - so
bandwidth was shared. Switches were innovative, the switch recorded
which MAC addresses were on a port and so packets were switched between
ports based on MAC addresses.  The port to router is used for any packet
destined for MAC not other switch port.