gordonb3 wrote:
> That would place higher requirements on the server CPU and subsequently
> either rule out green devices completely or require them to be dedicated
> for LMS and even then you would likely run into trouble when copying new
> music files onto them while also listening.
>
> This said, my armv5te device actually does a pretty good job even with
> transcoding enabled (though last time I had it configured that way I
> only had two SB devices). The trouble started when I added some python
> scripts to my home automation app that also runs on that machine to pull
> data from a web service and the CPU load from python caused the players
> to start stuttering and sometimes even become completely silent for
> several seconds. That is why I require the notranscoding and really the
> only drawback is that I need to convert media files that come in `weird`
> formats (like Apple lossless) to native supported formats prior to
> adding them to LMS (effectively I recode everything to flac16 or if the
> original format was lossy to mp3).
>
> Honestly, if I had enough time I would likely make an attempt to rewrite
> LMS in C++. I know there's lots of people that dislike compiling stuff
> but at current energy prices the difference between 10 Watts and 100
> Watts approaches 500 euros a year. That is money I'd rather spend on a
> nice diner.

But you can get LMS running with transcoding even on an old PiZero 1st
gen with arm1176. Transcoding does not use that much CPU and compilers
are really efficient (remember that all transcoders are native compiled
application)

LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - *SqueezeAMP!*, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch,
1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW,
2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi,  Yamaha
WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3