mherger wrote:

> When the log file is filling up the filesystem then you should first of
>
> all figure out why it is logging that much!

Agree 100%.

I had mostly picked up on the 'syslog' comments.

Worth knowing:

    -systemd- will direct anything emitted from STDOUT and STDERR to its
  own journal.

  Where it will be accumulated and pruned according to its own
  settings/environment.
  -journalctl- is the -systemd- access mechanism.

  The LMS Unit Service file could be modified so that this stuff is just
  thrown away, but LMS' ---quiet- option also does this.
    LMS, by default, directs its log output both to the regular LMS log
  files and to STDOUT.

  The ---quiet- option does, now, suppress STDOUT. (Requires LMS 8.3.1,
  I think...)
    Debian, by default, configures the -systemd- journal to forward logs
  to -syslog-.

    So we can end up with LMS' log output being stored in each of:

            systemd's journal files
            syslog
            LMS' own log files

I'm still not convinced that the ---quiet- option works precisely as
intended, because I think it should be explicitly adding/removing the
-screen- item from the -log4perl.rootLogger = ERROR, server, screen-
setting every time LMS, or the Scanner, starts. It's been this way for
15 years or so.
https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver/blob/public/8.4/Slim/Utils/Log.pm#L160

The recent change,
https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver/commit/2a31400a5a793002d6d49a34741da7aa065c6a6f,
seems to sidestep this point by pushing STDOUT to -/dev/null-.