While working on some ICAP issues I have found a very annoying situation which I wrote a small patch that *I think* can be applied without any known risks to exiting functionality.

I added a configurable option to the ICAP services named "nodown" but maybe another name would be better fit. The idea of the patch is to allow the admin to count on the periodic OPTIONS request only to identify the current state of the ICAP service. Currently the only option to force a failing service into UP state after a failure is using a reconfiguration of squid or the periodic OPTIONS fetch. Due to this the patch doesn't makes things much worse then they are now but allows the admin to rely on some external_acl helper that will use a deny_info to reflect a solid DOWN state between the periodic OPTIONS fetch.

I was thinking about using the icap_service_failure_limit with a very high limit but it is an ICAP global configuration and not a service specific configuration.

The patch link: http://paste.ngtech.co.il/phq5lqtf5

Some description in the patch at: http://paste.ngtech.co.il/phq5lqtf5#line-233

Thanks,
Eliezer