Hi all,

On peek bumping mode we are sending the client hello message to the SSL server. The client Hello message normally includes the supported features by client and a shared key. This is normally makes impossible to bump the connection after "peek" mode.

On stare mode squid sends its hello message (with its supported features and its shared keys), and this is make impossible to splice the connection after stare mode.

However currently we are trying to hack openSSL, if it is possible (the same features supported by both squid and client) and fill its internal structures with the hello message sent by client to allow:
  - on stare mode splice the connection
  - on peek mode bump the connection.

This was possible and worked if squid and web client was build using the same openSSL library, or for older firefox clients (which used a limit number of tls extensions).

However recent changes to the source code of openSSL, break this feature. Moreover the openSSL source code is significant changed in its trunk repository. The upcoming openSSL releases will have major difference.

Looks that it will be very difficult to maintain this hack. And this is already make problems to squid. The stare mode may not work in some cases.

The squid code which hacks openSSL is inside adjustSSL function in bio.cc.

I am suggesting to just remove this function and the SQUID_CHECK_OPENSSL_HELLO_OVERWRITE_HACK configure.ac check.