I typed the name of the website without https in the address bar.  I am not
sure how it was redirected to the https address (could be my browser history or
web server).

In Firefox and Vivaldi I get the correct site.  When I type 'www.squid-cache.org' in the address bar of Chrome it goes very wrong showing the contents of https://grass.osgeo.org/.  Maybe Chrome tries https first and then http.

Marcus