Ok, I will asap.
Regarding the #defines: autoconf does it, so it's probably the most
portable way, and it doesn't hurt anyways.
I wouldn't go as far as defining this in a style guide, but converting
stuff as it is touched may help portability-wise.
the first input to me to do this was because sun cpp complained about
non-constant symbols as I converted from #ifdef to #if. It was not the
root cause, but I decided to let it in for the above reasons.

--
    /kinkie