On 09/20/2010 11:24 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 17:44:17 -0600, Alex Rousskov wrote:
It is best to use 0 in C++ programs, but we have too much NULL-using
code to fight.

Easy enough to fix with a grep/sed. Do we make '0' a coding style
requirement?

Yes, we should if there are no objections. However, replacing current NULLs will invalidate most pending patches. I would not do it proactively to the old code.

The 'NULL not always 0' is relevant to Win32 builds with MS Visual Studio
which sets NULL == 0xCDCDCDCD (the kernels invalid RAM pattern, somewhere
out in invalid memory space). I'm not sure if the newer VS still do this.

Squid will most likely not work if NULL is not false. 0xCDCDCDCD is not false. Consider:

    some_pointer = some_function_that_may_return_NULL();
    if (!some_pointer)

Cheers,

Alex.