On 2014-01-31 10:55, Alex Rousskov wrote:
On 2014-01-30 06:55, Alex Rousskov wrote:
<snip>

Furthermore, I think it is a good idea to eventually add a squid.conf
option to overwrite --prefix effects:

  root_dir

+1.

Great. Please consider adjusting your pending patches to implement
shared_memory_dir and uds_dir (while adding "service name" to their
default values)?
<snip>

Will do. Although "base_path" seems a little better for its name, to
avoid implications of a link with chroot or root user.

Please use _dir or _directory suffix to remain consistent with the
existing squid.conf directive names:

NAME: cache_dir
NAME: store_dir_select_algorithm
NAME: coredump_dir
NAME: icon_directory
NAME: error_directory

There are currently no directives with _path AFAIK (unless you count
capath= option to the *_port directives).

I know other projects are using PROJECT_ROOT for this kind of thing.
"Root" feels "standard" for this purpose to me, so I think it would be
better to use "root" rather than HTML-ish "base" despite the chroot()
similarity, but I do not have a strong preference or in-depth knowledge
about this subject.

Does anyone else have opinions on naming before I go and set finger to code?

I am guessing chroot would apply first and root_dir second. In other words,

  chroot /foo
  root_dir /bar

would mean that Squid will use /foo/bar/* paths by default, from the OS
point of view.

Yes I believe that is the correct way.

Please note that I am not asking you to add root_dir -- it is clearly
outside your project scope and will probably open another can of worms
such as its relationship with chroot() dir!

Not if I get it right :-)

Amos