"Amos Jeffries" wrote in message news:54BE3B5C.8040800 at treenet.co.nz...

On 20/01/2015 11:31 p.m., Simon Stäheli wrote:
Are there any other benefits in using ext_kerberos_ldap_group_acl
instead of ext_ldap_group_acl except the "Netbios name to Kerberos
domain name” mappings provided by the -N option. As far as I can
tell, this mapping can also easily be done by writing you own
helper perl script which is doing the mapping and finally feeds the
more common ext_ldap_group_acl helper.

Whatever floats your boat. The point of the Addon/Plugin/helpers API
is that you can use scripts if thy serve your needs better.

All the usual Open Source benefits of "many eyeballs" and somebody
else doing code maintenance for you applies to using a bundled helper
over a custom written one.

Beyond that the kerberos helper also provides automatic detection of
which LDAP server to use via mutiple auto-configuration methods.

The idea of the helper was to automate most of the configuration ( ignoring some performance ) and avoid using a username/password, support users from multiple domains. Secondly I wanted check for nested groups which was not available in the existing helper and thirdly I also check now against the
primary group of the user.

Thank you Markus for your explanations. I played around with ext_kerberos_ldap_group_acl and would like to go into some details:

1) it is possible to define more than one LDAP server (e.g. for high availability reasons)? The -l parameter allows only one ldap url while -S allows several "server > realm" - mappings.

2) It is correct, that compared to ext_ldap_group_acl, ext_kerberos_ldap_group_acl does not require a groupname as input (from stdin), because -g -t -T or -D control the group name?!

3) What is the use case for defining -g GROUP@? What is the difference to -g GROUP (without @)

4) The "query DNS for SRV record _ldap._tcp.REALM" mechanism seems no to work for me although the DNS server is configured correctly and querying with "dig SRV _ldap._tcp.REALM" works fine. Anything to consider here? _ldap._tcp.REALM SRV query was never sent so far.

5) Similar issues with the Kerberos feature. Keytab und Kerberos config are available and exported, but the helper only says:
support_ldap.cc(888): DEBUG: Setup Kerberos credential cache
support_ldap.cc(897): DEBUG: Kerberos is not supported. Use username/password with ldap url instead

Instead of that I found a dns SRV _kerberos._udp.REALM query which was actually answered by the dns. I assume this is related to the Kerberos feature?

6) It is possible to use the helper when DNS service is not reachable? Got some error messages during testing:

kerberos_ldap_group: DEBUG: Canonicalise ldap server name 213.156.236.111:3268 kerberos_ldap_group: ERROR: Error while resolving ip address with getnameinfo: Temporary failure in name resolution kerberos_ldap_group: DEBUG: Error during initialisation of ldap connection: Success

Beside this tiny issues the helper works excellent (tested with basic, NTLM and Kerberos authentication). I am just trying to discover the whole potential. Thank you very much for any responses.

Regards
Simon

If you can demonstrate that the ext_kerberos_ldap_group_acl does
provides a superset of the functionality of ext_ldap_group_acl helper
then I can de-duplicate the two helpers.

Amos

Regards
Markus