On 3/07/2015 2:41 a.m., Danny wrote:
> I am running Debian 8 with Squid3 installed (transparent). However, I would
> like to know a little more about the "reply_body_max_size" directive. I have
> read quite a bit about it but none of the discussions on the net fits my
> criteria ...

It works as documented at
<http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/reply_body_max_size/>.  If that
does not fit your criteria then its not what you need.

> (Oh yes, squidGuard is also running around my server somewhere doing what it
> is supposed to do ... I hope ... )
>
> It is a home setup with the Debian box serving DHCP IP's over wlan0 (which
> all devices in the house connect to for internet access). 9 laptops, 4 PC's,
> 7 tablets and 9 SmartPhones (and that is only the kid's stuff fighting for
> bandwidth supremacy ... ;) ) ... We are all on the same subnet ...
>
> The problem I have (as with most parents) is to limit the kid's download
> sizes from all over the net. Where I am we have capped internet and have to
> pay for more cap.
> Currently I get 20GB of data every month and by the end of the month I have
> purchased in excess of 100GB throughout the month which gets very expensive.
> My son plays games on his PS3 and some of the games (Call of Duty, I think)
> one player can download another player's in-game recorded video (or something
> like that) and that eats up the cap.
>
> Currently my "reply_body_max_size" is set to 20 MB in my efforts to curb
> downloads and save some bandwidth.
> However, whenever myself or the wife wants to download or visit youtube I
> have to change the 20MB limit, restart Squid3, watch youtube, change limit
> back to 20MB and reload Squid3 again ... which is a pain in the butt ...
>
> Currently my ACL's look like this:
>
> acl localnet src 10.0.0.0/24
> acl localnet_dad_laptop 10.0.0.10
> acl localnet_dad_smartphone 10.0.0.11
> acl localnet_mom_laptop 10.0.0.12
> acl localnet_mom_smartphone 10.0.0.13
> acl localnet_son_laptop 10.0.0.14
> acl localnet_son_smartphone 10.0.0.15
> acl localnet_son_tablet 10.0.0.16
>
> ---and so it goes on for all the other devices---
>
> http_access allow localnet

NOTE: No http_access ACLs controlling 10.0.0.0/24 have any effect below
this one that allows them all access to use the proxy.

> http_access allow localnet_dad_laptop
> http_access allow localnet_dad_smartphone
> http_access allow localnet_mom_laptop
> http_access allow localnet_mom_smartphone
> http_access allow localnet_son_laptop
> http_access allow localnet_son_smartphone
> http_access allow localnet_son_tablet
>
> ---and so it goes on for all the other devices---
>
> How can I allow mom and dad unlimited download sizes but limit download sizes
> for my kids (son, daughter and daughter) and all the kid's friends that visit
> and sleep over?

By applying ACLs for the kids on the reply_body_max_size directive lines
setting the sizes to use for them. Like so:
  reply_body_max_size 50 KB localnet_son_smartphone

Amos