Hi,

Thanks for the detailed response. I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately the load balancer we use is not a squid load balancer
and for now I will have to use HTCP.

Please take a look at the following lines from access.log of one of
the three squid servers.
------------
1450351827.534      0 10.135.83.129 UDP_HIT/000 0 HTCP_TST
http://127.0.0.1:3128/media/stream/video/NDo3ZDY1OTRjOS02NjM4LTQyNDMtOGMyNi0zYTc3YmI1MzI3ZjAubXA0?size=xs&start=0.000&end=5.930&;
- HIER_NONE/- -

1450351827.562     20 10.135.83.129 TCP_HIT/200 553852 GET
http://127.0.0.1:3128/media/stream/video/NDo3ZDY1OTRjOS02NjM4LTQyNDMtOGMyNi0zYTc3YmI1MzI3ZjAubXA0?
- HIER_NONE/- video/mp2t

1450352028.731      0 10.135.83.128 UDP_MISS/000 0 HTCP_TST
http://10.135.83.128:3128/media/stream/video/NDo3ZDY1OTRjOS02NjM4LTQyNDMtOGMyNi0zYTc3YmI1MzI3ZjAubXA0?size=xs&start=0.000&end=5.930&;
- HIER_NONE/- -
--------

The first line indicates a hit when queried by a peer. Note that the
IP address is 127.0.0.1.
It was a UDP HIT and it was followed by the actual request for the
cached object, which succeeded.

Now the third line indicates UDP query for same object, except that
URL has a different IP address, and the log says it was a MISS.

I don't know what I am doing wrong, but it consistently seems to treat
the IP address as part of the URL for purpose of HIT/MISS decision.

If all requests were made from a local client(say using curl running
locally on the machine) and using 127.0.0.1 as IP address, HTCP works
correctly.

Even without HTCP, just issuing same request from localhost and
another machine using a the externally visible IP address, squid does
not appear to use cached object. I am new to HTTP and think I must be
doing something wrong, but cant say what.

I wonder if ICP would have fared better since it uses just the URL.
Might that be a reason?

thanks,
Sreenath