On 07/01/2016 04:31, Jason Haar wrote:
On 06/01/16 00:04, Amos Jeffries wrote:
Yes. Squid always has been able to given enough RAM. Squid stores most
ACLs in memory as Splay trees, so entries are sorted by frequency of use
which is dynamically adapted over time. Regex are pre-parsed and
aggregated together for reduced matching instead of re-interpreted and
parsed per-request.
Great to hear. I've got some 600,000+ domain lists (ie dstdomain) and
60,000+ url lists (ie url_regex) acls, and there are a couple of
"gotchas" I've picked up during testing

commercial paid lists?

1. at startup squid reports "WARNING: there are more than 100 regular
expressions. Consider using less REs". Is that now legacy and ignorable?
(should that be removed?). Obviously I have over 60,000 REs

2. making any change to squid and restarting/reconfiguring it now means
I'm seeing a 12sec outage as squid reads those acls off SSD
drives/parses them/etc. With squidguard that outage is hidden because
squidguard uses indexed files instead of the raw files and that
parsing/etc can be done offline. That behavioral change is pretty
dramatic: making a minor, unrelated change to squid now involves a
10+sec outage (instead of <1sec). I'd say "outsourcing" this kind of
function to another process (such as url_rewriter or ICAP) still has
it's advantages ;-)

I have been working for a while on SquidBlocker which is a filtering engine\DB that has a built-in ICAP service. My plan is to publish the stable version 1.0 at the end of the month(31/01/2016) after couple long month of testing in production.
It's not open source but parts of it are.

One of the main points with it was blazing fast online updates with almost 0 down time if at all, ie a restart doesn't really exists(The only reasons I have restarted the service was for an update).

Eliezer