Hi,list,
Code 206 is the most pain for our forwed proxy. Squid use “range_offset_limit” to process byte-range request. when set it "none", it has 2 wellknown issue: 1. boost the traffic on the server side, we observed it's amplified 500% compared to clients side on our box. 2. it's always failed on a lossy link, and squid refetched it again and again. I've noticed that nginx have supported "byte-range cacheing" since 1.9.8 by Module ngx_http_slice_module officially. (1. http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_slice_module.html?_ga=1.140845234.106894549.1470474534
2. https://www.nginx.com/resources/admin-guide/content-caching/  ).
The solution is not perfect, but it's really more usable than "range_offset_limit". The secret it's use a fixed size object replaced the whole file, and we can alter the request range offset and passed it to server; perhaps forward the origin range offset and cache a part of the object with a range key is a better idea. And squid should know how to make up those object and process the request with range header. And with a fixed size object to cache it may benefits to disk IO. Sounds it's similar like big-rock db concept, though I've not got successed with rock on FreeBSD nor ubuntu box.
  Does squid has some plan to support this method or have another solution?

Regards
Simon