On Thursday 07 December 2017 at 20:34:22, Yuri wrote:

> In our kilobyte - one thousand twenty-four bytes. :)

This has been the definition since the earliest days of computing (or at least,
as soon as any computer had 1024 of anything...)

This (rather stupid-sounding, in my opinion) kibibyte stuff is a much more
recently introduced term, and is basically only needed for marketing people.

2^10 is a much more natural quantity of anything to have in computer terms
(since the whole system is based on binary) than 10^3 is, however 10^3 is a
smaller number, therefore the marketing people can tell you that the product
contains more of them.

Antony.

--
Software development can be quick, high quality, or low cost.

The customer gets to pick any two out of three.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.