[ please keep the traffic on-list. If you want private assistance I do
consult for a small fee. ]

On 13/12/18 2:51 pm, Sam Handley wrote:
> On 13/12/18 12:00 pm, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>
> Thank you for your reply, it seems adding in an extra step could solve it,
> even if not ideal.
> Just a few questions about your suggestions./Second is that if PRX1 or PRX2
> can be configured as a regular TLS proxy
> - receiving proxy traffic to a https_port (or any non-Squid software'
> equivalent). Then it can be used as a cache_peer with 'ssl' option(s). /Would
> both PRX1 and PRX2 require https_port to be configured?

It would yes. That config setting on the receiving proxy is what makes
it a "TLS proxy" instead of just a proxy.

> We have a limited ability to edit PRX2 and it does not have https_port
> enabled. /This option restricts you to the dangerous client-first style
> bumping,
> but you are already using that. /My experience so far is that performing any
> kind of bump action after step1 results in the connection being TUNNELLED and
> not cached by PRX1.

The only thing which would result in https:// traffic being cached in
PRX1 is for PRX1 to be doing the decrypt SSL-Bump itself, or acting at a
TLS proxy.

Traffic which has https:// URL scheme should only ever leave Squid over
an encrypted connection. Especially when "bump" is happening.

> For example,
> 1.
> ssl_bump bump step2 all #results in the connection TUNNELLING and no caching.

Your description earlier was the SSL-Bump and cache happening in PRX3.

PRX1 and PRX2 being regular proxies will see tunnels ... or nothing at all.

> 2.
> ssl_bump peek step2 all
> ssl_bump bump step3 all #results in the connection TUNNELLING and no caching.

IIRC, your lack of a Step-1 action implies tunneling.

The "peek" at Step-2 prohibits "bump" being used at Step-3. So even if
my recollection was incorrect above you get a tunnel from this step-3.

To decrypt and cache the traffic needs to be going through one of these
SSL-Bump sequences:

  bump, terminate, terminate
  peek, bump, terminate
  stare, bump, terminate
  peek, stare, bump
  stare, stare, bump

The terminate are just there as a catch-all for traffic which bump fails
for any reason. You could try splice instead of you want, but that will
also fail sometimes - terminate is the reliable one.

> It would be preferred to use server-first if it did indeed cache the content,
> can you provide a more ideal bump configuration that will still allow us to
> cache HTTPS.

For that set of requirements you are limited to the possibility #1, #3
or #4 from the set I wrote up earlier.

To always bump, and with server-first style you need to start with these
ssl_bump rules in PRX3:

  ssl_bump peek step1
  ssl_bump stare
  ssl_bump bump

... adding terminate or splice actions as needed for non-caching of
traffic which has issues with the bumping or you are prohibited from
decrypting.

Amos