Hey Antony,

Thanks for the quick response.

- What sort of firewall is this?

The firewall is a Cisco FTDv 6.6.

  - What does "HTTPS inspect" actually mean?
  - How does the firewall "inspect" HTTPS traffic, which by design is encrypted
between client and server (neither of which is the firewall)?
  - What does "inspect" mean?  What information is revealed from the inspection
of the encrypted communication?

It's doing something they call 'decrypt and resign'. Similar to how ssl_bump works, so would putting the firewall certificate on the Squid server's trusted certificates source be enough?

Why?  Where would the proxy servers need to be instead, in order for this
inspection to work?

Good question, their documentation says the following:

   HTTP proxy limitation

   The system cannot decrypt traffic if an HTTP proxy is positioned
   between a client and your managed device, and the client and server
   establish a tunneled TLS/SSL connection using the CONNECT HTTP
   method. The Handshake Errors undecryptable action determines how the
   system handles this traffic.

Alternatively, how does/would it work if the proxy were not there, and clients
communicated directly to the Internet through the firewall?

If the proxy wasn't there, it looks like it works the same as ssl_bump.

Have you asked the suppliers / authors / vendors of the firewall?

Not yet but I will be doing so today.

If it's the firewall telling you there's a problem, this doesn't entirely feel
like a Squid question.

Okay, what if we removed the firewall and replaced it with another squid proxy
server, where that is also doing ssl_bump. I assume this would work but are
there negative implications of doing so?

Appreciate you taking the time.

Thanks,

Will