Chris,

Your [open proxy] configuration prohibits Squid from going direct ("never_direct allow all") but does not configure any cache_peers as an alternative. Thus, Squid cannot forward any requests. Either remove never_direct or add cache_peer(s). I recommend the former as a simpler starting point.

Also, AFAICT, you are using direct curl-to-Squid TCP connections while testing an http_port configured for _intercepted_ traffic. Perhaps that explains why Squid does not even respond with an error page, but I am not sure.

HTH,

Alex.