Merton Campbell Crockett wrote:

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, Alan Lehman wrote:

I recently added a PPP dialin server on my network on which I have a
Squid proxy box. The dialin clients can browse the internet with Mozilla
via Squid. They can also ping and telnet to the Squid box. IE6 however
gets no response from Squid. Unfortunately our company policy requires
we use IE on the clients.

The same client systems works fine with IE via the same Squid box when
directly connected to the local network and using the same proxy
configuration.

Sometime ago I ran accross an article in Microsoft's Knowledgebase that indicated that Internet Explorer ignores proxy settings that had been established while the system was connected when the system is connected via a dial-up connection. For systems connected via a dial-up to use automatic detection, the DNS method of detection needed to be used, i.e. you need to have WPAD defined in your domain's zone file that is a CNAME for a web server that has a "proxy.dat" file in its document root directory.

There was also a caveat for Windows 2000 that the file name be all lower
case.

Merton Campbell Crockett

Thanks. You are correct. I was using XP, which has separate proxy settings for each dialup connection. I'm using manual proxy config so I have to manually enter the proxy server settings for each dialup entry. That fixed it.