Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

0. You must be using Squid-3

mmhh... "unstable"?

1. Squid must be running as a reverse-proxy with authentication enabled, in front of your web server where this PHP script resides.

mmhh... what means "reverse-proxy"?

2. Configure Squid to forward the requests using the cache_peer directive in squid.conf using the originserver and login= cache_peer options.

mmhh.. gotta take a look at the manual, right?

3. Make the PHP script read the Basic authentication user name from the request. See the PHP manual "Chapter 17. HTTP authentication with PHP" for details on how to do this.

Gotta take a look at this too

Alternatively, you can use a redirector helper to add the login details to the request by rewriting the URL to http://user:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/path/to/page.php (this approach works in all Squid versions)

Since all this stuff is getting a bit too complicated, I'll ask another question (I'm still confused):

Is there any way (other than NCSA_Auth) to have "username" available to PHP in some variable?

Thank you very much...

--
Boniforti Flavio

Tecnoparco del Lago Maggiore