On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Antony Stone wrote:

> I don't see what use such a large quantity of log data would be put to in
> order to make it worth keeping.

I do.. there is many situations where this is required.

Several of the places I have been have as policy that proxy logs needs to
be archived for a minimum of 6 months, with at least the last month kept
online for fast searches if/when a abuse or security situation needs to be
investigated.

Some of these had rather large bandwidth, generating several GB of logs
per day. Thankfully access logs can be compressed a lot making the long
term archival not that cumbersome.

Thankfully the place I was most involved with ran Squid on 64 bit hardware
(Alpha), making the log file size a non-issue other than pure storage.
Others have selected to rotate their logs on a hourly basis to keep the
size down well below the magic 2GB.

Regards
Henrik