Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
With a softlink I could solve the problem:
ln -s /var/run/squid.pid /usr/local/squid/var/logs/squid.pid

There is one important clue above. When you start Squid you specified that /etc/squid.conf should be used as configuration file, but the "squid -k rotate" did not specify which configuration file to use and will thus use the default configuration file location for that Squid binary. This configuration file most likely does not specify the same pid_filename.

Regards
Henrik

You've got it! Thanks very much!

I had "/usr/local/squid/sbin/squid -k rotate" in my crontab, so squid falls back to the default location /usr/local/squid/etc/squid.conf. This squid.conf uses the default /usr/local/squid/var/logs/ for the squid.pid-file, and not the one I defined in /etc/squid.conf.

I checked this with "/usr/local/squid/sbin/squid -f /etc/squid.conf -k check", which is without error now.

Thanks for your solution,
Oliver