We run squid for some clients that need to access partners' websites that are set up to authenticate users using NTLM. (At least, we see their servers passing the following headers:)

 Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
 WWW-Authenticate: Negotiate
 WWW-Authenticate: NTLM

I understand that transparent passthrough authentication will not work though an HTTP proxy, but what we end up seeing is that users off the proxy receive a login prompt from the web server and can then authenticate manually, but users on the proxy simply get an "access denied" message from the web server and can't view the page - no login prompt. Is this also related to the NTLM authentication not being supported, or is there a way we can make it so that users are still given the login prompt?

TIA

--
Darren Spruell
Sento I.S. Department