On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Bernhard Erdmann wrote:

> In cachemgr.cgi / Memory Utilization I can see mem_node growing bigger
> and bigger when process size increases.

Then your are experiencing some kind of request Squid does not handle
well.

> What's mem_node's purpose? I've seen mem_node allocating 800 MB when the
> squid process had 1.2 GB.

mem_node is one of many internal structures within Squid. This one keeps
track of a chunk (part of an object) while an object is being forwarded by
Squid and/or the cach_mem cache.

The next step is to try to identify the request causing this, which may be
a bit of a tedious work...

> I've seen segmentation violations in cache.log:

Then file bug reports as instructed in the Squid FAQ.

Regards
Henrik