Jeff Donovan wrote:
what is the max hard drive size squid can use?

I've been using 16 gigs of a 120Gig drive with great success. But i was wondering if I could get better performance by utilizing the rest of the drive resources. Would partitioning the drive into multiple pieces at squids max size limit be the way to go?

Check the FAQ about RAM requirements, AFAIK this is the limiting factor of the cache_dir size:
http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-8.html#ss8.11

Partitioning won't make a (major) difference.

It is quite common to use multiple big disks (more spindles) to improve performance but this will increase the "waste" of disk space.

Regards, Hendrik Voigtländer